The 2015 New York Cancer Prevention Month Summit is the first-ever cancer-related conference hosted by The New York State Department of Health. The summit aims to renew focus on cancer-related prevention. With the help of researchers, health practitioners, health organizations, business leaders, and government officials, the program seeks to find a way to work together towards recognizing cancer as a critical public health issue.
The cancer prevention summit started when the city of New York has integrated the idea regarding the success of National Cancer Prevention Day in Washington DC. Since then, the state commissioner of health in NYC has been actively supporting the event.
The Summit’s Agenda
The summit aims to motivate people towards cancer awareness. These include people having the right diagnosis, proper treatments and interventions, changing lifestyle choices, addressing mental health related to the condition, and doing physical activities. Every head of the organization wants to push the health-related knowledge that can help reduce the risk of cancer. The medical sector says that applying the current health guidance we have today can help prevent it by half.
Objectives And Issues During The Conference.
- To promote a plant-based diet in preventing cancer and other diseases.
- To promote physical exercise and improve the body’s well-being.
- To reduce or eliminate alcohol intake as much as possible.
- To use protection to prevent skin damage from the sun
- To promote the HPV vaccine for cervical cancer in women.
- To improve vaccination for Hepatitis B so it can support liver cancer protection.
- To find a way in lessening toxic chemicals in food, cosmetics, and other products.
- To help pass laws to protect the people from cancer-causing chemicals in the products we use.
Speakers and attendees hope that the talks in the conference can encourage legislator to move towards the agenda as a whole. The summit will continue annually as long as new ways towards cancer prevention are still improving.